Monday 21 February 2011

ARE WE REALLY DIFFERENT?

With all the political turmoil that has been going on in the Middle East recently, I started thinking of all the countries I had been to in my life - many countries multiple times as it was during the course of my working career. It was one aspect that I enjoyed thoroughly. I loved travelling and meeting people of different cultures, learning about their customs, and most of all, enjoying their local food! I truly appreciated their hospitality and understanding their own aspirations for their country, their families and for themselves. One thing has been ingrained deeply in me -most human beings are good, kind, and decent people! Unfortunately, quite often, it is the few "bad experiences" that we tend to remember. 

Over a year ago, I decided that every day I would wake up and pray - "God, I cannot do big things but what I can give You is joy - so help me to be joyful today!" Initially, I repeated this in my heart many times a day. Now, I do so in the mornings and if I feel that I am about to become irritable or annoyed. All it takes is this one simple line to make me look at myself first - how I will react and how I choose to live my life.

The amazing thing is despite whatever personal struggles and difficulties that I have had to face, I have truly felt a deeper sense of calmness and peace within me. I have learnt to look at others and realize there is good in all of us. As I focus on the positive qualities of each person, my irritation and feelings of dislike have reduced significantly!

Having friends of different races, religions and culture is one of the greatest gifts I treasure in my life. It is one of the most memorable experiences I have of my childhood in Malaysia. It has truly broadened my life perspective knowing them, living abroad and visiting different countries. It makes me realize what a great blessing I have had in my life. All of us want to live in peace and harmony; we want the best for our families; we try our best to do good and we enjoy having joyful moments with those we love and care for! I have never found anyone from any part of the world who did not have some goodness in them. Admittedly, at times,the goodness was not directed at me unfortunately but there was still goodness in that person!

In fact in my family, all my five brothers-in-law and sisters-in-law are of different nationalities. It was not something I had consciously thought about until a number of guests mentioned it to my happy parents  at one of my sister's wedding! The multiculturism in my own family is a joy - what's more I have just wonderful nephews and nieces! 

So as I deeply pondered about all the people I have known in many parts of the world, I do know the answer to the question - "Are we really different?" The answer is an emphatic "NO"! We are all children of God - each of us have a right to live in this world in peace and harmony and to have the freedom in practicing our faith.

We should not let tyranny, extremism of any kind, bigotry and hatred to overwhelm our human spirit to live a blessed life! The words from the song "Ebony and Ivory" by Stevie Wonder and Paul McCartney always soothes me when I listen to it especially the following verse:

Ebony and ivory live together in perfect harmony
Side by side on my piano keyboard, oh lord, why dont we?
We all know that people are the same where ever we go
There is good and bad in everyone,
We learn to live, we learn to give each other

what we need to survive together alive


Well, I am now going to sit back and let the music video of "Ebony and Ivory" bring back happy memories of all the people I have known and have made me a better person today! 


2 comments:

  1. Dear Susan, here is a link, which definitely seconds your thoughts...
    http://www.6billionothers.org/index.php

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ewa - Interesting project and vision of the founder!

    ReplyDelete