Sunday 6 February 2011

LIVING OUR CALL – NEVER GIVE UP!

In the past year, for some reason, many people have asked me to share how it is one can be sure of one’s mission in life. I was asked to share my personal experience. I had never openly discussed why I chose to serve fulltime as a volunteer in India. Yet, in 2010, it somehow became necessary as I knew what I would share would make a real difference to people I knew who were trying to combine their jobs and to also serve wholeheartedly in church ministry.  It is definitely not easy for them. But then neither is it easy for me to stay in a community all the time in India.

Life is about making the right choice in our lives with courage and to live our life’s mission to the fullest. I am a firm believer that material security and wealth can never make any human being happy! We need to nourish and strengthen our spiritual lives – to live our faith. I have often seen in friends who are wealthy and yet seem constantly fearful and worried of the future. At times, I believe it is a case that when one has more, one wants more so “joy” becomes elusive!  I look at the poor we care for in our mission here and I see a wonderful contrast – they are at peace and there is a tangible inner joy from the youngest orphan child to the elderly who are part of our Divine Family. I have realized over the years that it is love and concern for one another that makes the biggest difference in any person’s life. Those who were so desperate and marginalized in society now feel love and hence there is no fear. They know the Vincentian Fathers of this retreat centre will always care for them – there are no strings attached.

Do not imagine that those who do ministry or mission work fulltime are holy and hence find it easy to serve God. Each of us has temptations and worldly desires or human and worldly attachments we have to guard against and conquer. The quest to be humble, not to expect recognition, to be filled with God’s Love and Grace are very difficult to master and especially to be living examples of Christ. Indeed, that is what those of us, as Christians, are called for!  I have yet to meet a person who can confidently say, I have the “Fruit of the Spirit” – “love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness,gentleness and self-control.” (Galatians 5:22-23)

Every one of us has a call – a mission in our lives. Our life on earth is temporary. We all return to our Maker one day. We cannot take anyone we love or anything we own in this world with us – all we can take up with us are our own good thoughts, words and deeds; the love we showed for our fellowmen/women and most importantly, our Love for God and our Christian mission to live for Him.

We all arrive at “crossroads” in our lives. I too was at a major crossroad in my life. From mid-December 2010 until 31 January 2011, I have gone through the most spiritually challenging phase of my life – where I had to look so deeply into myself, to spend a lot more time in personal prayer and to finally hear and understand the firm and gentle call of God in my heart. It was like a jigsaw puzzle finally being put together! It only became clear when I made the decision to be totally committed to "my call" - no matter what it was. I remember the day and the exact moment I did so - on 22 December 2010 upon hearing a homily. Immediately after that, I felt a joy and calmness in my heart and mind and I felt liberated! The process continued until I attended my personal retreat 8 days ago - and now I know. There are no more doubts. There were quite a few fears I too had felt about fulfilling the call I am strongly feeling in my life. The wonderful part I have learnt is I must never give up because God will never give up on me! After so many years, I finally have a great spiritual confidence of living “my call”. The following bible verse is so real to me now – “Do not be afraid – I am with you!” (Isaiah 43:5) I used to receive it often in moments of uncertainties about my life but it did not penetrate to the depth of my heart until now.

It is God who will lead each one of us - you and me! Tonight, I felt that I should write a new post for this blog but my mind was blank on what to write about. I do not believe it was a mere coincidence that I came across this music video on YouTube – “Never Give Up” by Yolanda Adams and I felt inspired!

 God found a special way to touch my heart and reaffirm me – may He speak to yours too!  


6 comments:

  1. As always Susan,an inspiring reflection. Keep the dream and walk the faith. God bless

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Susan, for your open, very clear testmony! You are totally right.

    Again short but loving from the Dead Sea,
    Wilderixh

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Wilderich! Hope u are having a blessed rest at the Dead Sea :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. As always, you keep inspiring...

    ReplyDelete