Sunday 31 October 2010

MAO LI - A DOG WITH THE HEART OF AN ANGEL!

I grew up having many family pet dogs - in fact throughout my teenage years, we always had at least 2 dogs and at times three! And every dog was so special - they each had their own character just like humans with one difference - they were always so loving and accepting. They only seemed upset for a while if they had a scolding...which was quickly forgotten if any of us spoke lovingly to them. And our dogs knew they were greatly loved that often my parents would comment that our dogs did not know they were dogs because of us - the Alexander children and grandchildren. Yet one dog really stands out...

MAO LI
Mao Li  is not our dog - he belongs to my next-door neighbour. I never saw him or knew of him until 2007...that is until I returned for my dad's funeral. I noticed this dog that would turn up at 5.00p.m. sharp in the evening to sit right in front of the front door of our house and would return back to our neighbour's house only at  8.00a.m. sharp the following day by scambling over the high fence. How could this dog's timing be so exact? A couple of days later, we asked our Mum about the dog and she explained that he started coming over at the exact same time 3 days before my dad passed away. One thing really stood out - Mao Li absolutely loves my mother! The moment he sees her, he would be jumping all over her that it would cause her to laugh and he would not leave her side. We were all very intrigued by Mao Li's coming and goings!

Soon, Mao Li was at our place all the time that our neighbour actually  apologized.  However, we were very happy at this mongrel dog that brought such joy to my Mum in her days of grief. My nephew, Max, named him Mao Li (since he did not seem to have a name!) Well, Mao Li obviously loved his new name and would come bounding over to get petted and played with - and so the name stayed. We fed him, bought him snacks, toys and even a nice red leather dog collar. Mao Li was such a joy!  

How could a dog be like an angel? Yet, that is what I think Mao Li seems to be. He just knew my Mum needed a companion and he was utterly devoted to her - jumping and walking with her as she took her evening strolls or was in our garden. Mao Li came over to our house for over a year. During that time, most of us had long returrned back to where we all lived - scattered around the world....and there was Mao Li with my Mum! We have never ever been so grateful to a dog. He brought immense joy and comfort to my Mum. 

Exactly a year later, my Mum had a fulltime helper and we rarely saw Mao Li as our neighbours kept him in their fruit garden on the other side of their house. Later, my brother also gave my Mum a pet dog, Molly. Yet every trip home, we all wonder and ask about Mao Li. Last month on my recent home trip, Mao Li was running across the road having escaped with his leash - running right to our house. As I excitedly called out Mao Li's name, his ears pricked up and he came along jumping happily for a few minutes before running off with our family dog, Molly around the neighbourhood. I had not seen Mao Li for 2 years. At that moment as  I stood there, I thanked God for all the pets I have had in my life - our dogs, rabbits, chickens, parakeets and some "guest" pets who actually belonged to our neighbours. All of them brought joy and love into our lives - they too are wonderful creations of God!

I cannot have a pet here but I enjoy going back going back home to also spend time with our family's pet dogs. On Christmas day and special holidays, there is also the "Alexander" dogs in Malaysia 'family reunion'...when my brother brings his two dogs, Daisy and Cassie, to be with Molly. My Mum and I had a great vacation in Melbourne last year at my sister, Kathy's place, enjoying the antics of her cute and lovable dog, Jessie who loves catching frisbees and her pet toy - a stuffed green frog that croaks! She made our holidays very enjoyable!  Most of our dogs are rescued dogs - that is we get them from the SPCA or some were abandoned puppies that just came into our house...yet none of us would ever change them for the most expensive pedigreed dog in  the world. They love us and we love them - and that is all that matters! Indeed love has no boundaries...

2 comments:

  1. Hi Susan,

    Wonderful sharing. As usual so uplifting and thought provoking. God bless

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Renee. God bless you too! See u soon :)

    ReplyDelete