Friday 27 August 2010

I Love Cartoons!


There are some things in life that just put me in a good mood – even today! One of it is watching my favourite cartoons. It is why I actually enjoy watching a Disney movie over most other movies.

Perhaps it is because cartoons remind me of my happy childhood. I am from a big family of 8 kids. I was the No. 6.

I remember days of climbing rambutan and guava trees, climbing up the poles of the swing in my house, hanging from the top or sliding down the poles and of riding bikes at full speed down a slope and trying not to crash into neighbours’ front gates! Initially, I used to end up in the drain across my house and proudly showed off my multi-coloured bruises! In fact, When I was 6-7 years old, I distinctly recall climbing up the guava tree, plucking the guavas, then getting on to the roof of the garage and from there jumping down to the ground thinking I was Superman! Well, for some reason, I never pictured myself as Supergirl or Wonder Woman. Probably because it boggled my mind to wear what I saw in comic books that Wonder Woman wore every day! I was a great tomboy throughout my schooldays and dressed permanently in t-shirts and shorts except to go to school or church.

There were always cartoons on TV in the evenings after school and on the weekends. I especially love Flintstones and Scooby Doo. In fact, up to my working days in Hong Kong, I would still catch episodes of these cartoons whenever I could! I watched it every day while in college.

Cartoons really helped mould us as kids in a fun way – because it is always about the good overcoming the bad. It actually taught us to be sorry when we do wrong things, to own up if we did something wrong, to be kind to others and to just value family and friends. Imagine all that just from cartoons! Well, that was how cartoons were when I was growing up. For some reason, I cannot relate to the cartoons on TV for children these days. It must be my age showing up! Now it is about war and inter-planet fighting and somehow they just do not look as warm and appealing cartoon characters.

Well, it’s Friday today – a time to just relax and feel good about life over the weekend. I think I shall try to remember one happy moment from my ‘growing up’ days at least once a month in my blog. For today, I leave you all with a YouTube video of Scooby Doo’s Theme Song. I hope you enjoy and recall your own happy memories of your childhood too. Share it over lemonade with your kids or over a cappuccino with friends – I am sure it will be a happy, bonding time…


No comments:

Post a Comment