Tuesday 24 August 2010

11 Year Old Girl - Angel To The Homeless


A week ago, I came across an article of a few kids who were making a great charitable difference in the world. One child’s project really caught my attention – because it was so simple for anyone to do! Katie Stagliano, a 11-year old American girl has grown and donated over 4,000 pounds of vegetables to feed the homeless in her hometown of Summerville, South Carolina, USA. It all started with her one unselfish act to feed the homeless in 2008 after a cabbage plant she received in her 3rd grade program with Bonnie Plants grew to a 40-pound cabbage!


What truly touched me was how this wonderful child, Katie, was so inspired that a great dream was born in her heart and she has not looked back!

As Katie shares in her website (www.katieskrops.com) “In May of 2008 we brought my cabbage to Tri County Family Ministries. When I walked in I saw a huge line of people (275!) waiting for what might be the only meal they would have that day. The people who worked there and who were eating there were so friendly and nice. As I served my cabbage to the guests and they thanked me for helping to feed them, I knew I could and I should do more to help. That day at Tri County Family Ministries my dream was born. My dream is that there are no hungry people. I may only be 11 but I know I can do it.”

Katie has inspired her whole school body of students - from kindergarten to 12th grade! Her school donated a huge plot of land and every student is helping and the harvest is donated to feed the hungry people. As I read about Katie, I was thinking about the generosity of her heart and her concern for the poor. Great credit has to go to her parents for bringing up their children with good and loving values.

Katie is a very confident and articulate 11-year old. Even her email to me seemed filled with joy! In fact, she has the highest GPA of her class for the last 4 years! Besides her studies, Katie has swim practice and tennis matches to take part in besides her daily watering and tending of the gardens.

What Katie is doing certainly makes me reflect on what each person can do – if we set our mind and heart to it. I ask myself – have I been setting limits to what I can personally do to make this world a better place for the poor, the sick, the needy – all those who are struggling in life for one reason or another? I might be doing volunteer work for 6 years now but Katie has inspired me to do even more. Why? Simply because I know I can do more!

I am sure just doing a family charity project will help each of us to have more love in our hearts for those in urgent need. It will be a good idea for this coming Christmas as a start – a season of giving. Each of us has talents that God has given us. If I want to make a real difference, I can. A bible verse that often inspires me when I am doing something really difficult and gives me the needed energy to focus on the goal is - This is impossible for man, but not for God; everything is possible for God.” (Mark 10:27) So I pray and persevere and the impossible have often become possible. A point I sometimes forget!

I am sure each of us can make a big difference in our community. The only question is – are we willing to do so?



No comments:

Post a Comment