Sunday 16 January 2011

WE ARE NEVER TOO OLD!


"First say to yourself what you would be;
then do what you have to do."
Epictetus

Do you feel like you are living in a rut at times/ That you are too old to make a change and follow your passion? Well, think again! We should always live our lives full of passion regardles of our age. I think that this is partly what keeps one young-at-heart, jovial and ready to face challenges!

So if any one of you are thinking we are now in a boring middle age phase that will go on till our golden years, it's time to apply the brakes on these thoughts! I came across this 2 short videos in the Vitality section of Yahoo News called Second Act:  Real stories celebrating life, passion and reinvention.


 
Donald Arthur had been given 6 months to live when he received a heart transplant. Now, with a new passion and purpose, he’s trying to complete a marathon in all 50 states. I was just amazed at his willpower. (Yes, I have a healthy heart but I can't imagine running these days...and to think I used to represent my school in the sprint events till I was 15). 




The next video certainly cheered me up! It will probably make us ladies give a silent cheer for her...to see a lady in her 50's still willing to pursue her Olympic dream! And I think my men friends will now think back to all their youthful sporting dreams. I do not know if she will achieve it. But how wonderful to see her willingness to give it her best shot! Once an Emmy Award-winning television producer, Lisa Fisco is now training to be the oldest female weightlifter ever to compete in an Olympic Games.



There are a few people who have truly personally inspired me in my life. The one thing they all have in common are these few qualities: they have an inner peace, a generous spirit, a deep sense of thankfulness of life and a great sense of joy that makes other people want to be around them - to feel their quiet joy, the optimism and the hope and faith they inspire! What is more they are inspirational leaders - they seem set apart and willing  to achieve big goals - despite many obstacles. They really "walk the talk". Age is never a barrier to them!

One bible verse I pray every morning and remind myself a few times daily helps me to strive for this in my life  (Yes...I hope to achieve it in this lifetime) :- 


"Be joyful always; pray constantly;
be thankful in all circumstances for this is the will of God for you in Christ Jesus"
(1 Thessalonians 5:16-18)

No comments:

Post a Comment