Friday 27 March 2020

A TIME TO REDISCOVER THE MEANING AND JOY OF LIFE


Fr Michael Payyapilly V.C., Parish Priest of Holy Family Church, Doveton, Australia leads us in into a soul-searching and anointed Divine Mercy Stations of the Cross YouTube video above. In this Holy Season of Lent when the world is in a great coronavirus (COVID-19) crisis and most churches and borders worldwide closed in countrywide lock-down, our hearts need to turn to God for mercy and hope. 

Many of us are living in nationwide lock-down. It is not easy to do so. Our world as we know it, has come to a standstill. Thousands have died alone and away from loved ones due to this swift pandemic.

The medical frontliners, first responders, and all essential services are working tirelessly to keep the rest of us safe. During this time, let us in this holy Lenten season, make a deep meaningful soul-searching of what is truly important in our lives.

Families and loved ones are now having meals and meaningful conversations while bonding together. There is a break from the rat race as people are working from home. Pollution is clearing; animals are freely walking on the streets and swimming joyfully in the waters. I have seen videos of geese, dolphins frolicking in the Indian harbours and even a very endangered animal walking on an empty street in India.

Personally, I took the time to really enjoy a heavy downpour a few days ago, feeling the breeze in my face, the leaves on the trees looking so refreshed with the raindrops on them, and the sound of the raindrops on the ground. I felt so free and the tensions of being cooped up went away that morning



We have to accept whatever it takes. Makes everyone ponder about the meaning of our lives. We are often too self-absorbed. Looking at the sudden totally unexpected downpour that morning, I actually marvelled about how God brings about the weather changes in our daily lives. It had been so hot and the rain really made me happy especially the cool breeze. (I enjoy rains except the type that brings floods!) 

Rains are a blessing for humankind, oceans, waterfalls, environment, animals and plants. Yet, I have seldom taken few moments to offer thanks and be grateful to God

I decided to start a Gratitude Daily Journal and every morning, afternoon and night, I looked at what had brought me joy - despite being alone in my own company. Things in life i take for granted. Just simple moments in life like waking up at 5.10 a.m. in the morning, alive and well. I am definitely not a morning person!

It is not easy for me. Yesterday, I cried three times as I could not take it being in lock-down for so long since 15 March and extended until late April.. However, I am praying and working on some ideas I have had for a few years but I seem to have never had the time! In this time of great solitude and reflection, life seems to be in a standstill, I am very aware of Jesus' Presence in my life and the things that clutter my life which needs to discarded - physically, mentally and emotionally.

Joining the live-streaming of the touching Divine Mercy Stations of the Cross by Fr. Michael Payyapilly V.C. at the top of the post today, I felt the tension in my heart and mind loosening its grip. It made me realize yet again how much my family and friends mean to me. It is never easy being away from them - something I realized during the Kerala 2018 floods. I have had to cancel my Singapore and Australia trips to be with two of my sisters. I was rather sad as I was really looking forward to be with family. However, I am happy that all my family and loved ones have been safe so far. We have all found strength in our faith as have many millions of Catholics around the world. 

It has taught many of us never to take the daily Holy Eucharist for granted. It has made us realize how much our priests mean to us, "shepherds of the flock" here on earth are so integral in all the important events of our lives. We should pray for our priests every day so that all of us are sustained spiritually, as we are pilgrims on earth. God has sent them to guide us to heaven, our eternal home.


In the stress of the lock-down, nationwide in many countries, it is good to look at our lives and once again find joy in the simple priceless treasures we have taken for granted.

Treasure our families and loved ones - always nurture our relationships! Strengthen the personal touch in our lives. Stop being attached to our mobiles and electronic gadgets. Never take anyone or any aspect of our life for granted. Our life is God's gift to us.

Most of all, we have to realize that the earth is not just for us human beings.   How we have ignored, nature and the animals, all living creatures, the fauna and flora! They are springing to new life. Pollution and waters have cleaned up. It is wake-up time for each of us to learn to live in this world equitably with all of God's Creation. 

Today, besides my loved ones, I take  this moment to thank God for all the priests in the world who are reaching out to us through social media. So that our souls continue to be nourished and fed. We are not alone. 

I take this opportunity to thank Fr. Michael Payyapilly for once again touching our hearts to reach out to Jesus' Mercy and to live in love and hope. 

Let us all live in this world with love, compassion and kindness!

No comments:

Post a Comment