Wednesday 9 April 2014

THE POWER OF POSITIVE DOING IN NEW EVANGELIZATION

So far, 2014 has been a year when I have done much soul-searching - probably since I will be completing my 10th year with the Divine-Potta ministry in India on 18 June 2014. I just came back two nights ago from a few weeks spent with family and friends in Singapore and Penang, Malaysia. One thing I am sure - I am as surprised as my family and friends of how these 10 years have gone by...

On this trip to Singapore, I was constantly asked about the new Divine Retreat Centre UK - St. Augustine's Abbey in Ramsgate, Kent which was blessed and inaugurated on 16 March 2014. This new retreat centre reinforced in my heart the lesson never to give up when doing God's work and the "Power of Positive Doing" in New Evangelization efforts. 


Pope Francis, just as Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI, has taken up soul-inspiring challenge of Blessed Pope John Paul II who first called for a "New Evangelization" in his Encyclical "Redemptoris Missio" on 07 December 1990 - nearly 24 years ago! Blessed Pope John Paul II's 'New Evangelization" is in fact the inspiration of the Vincentian Fathers of the Divine-Potta ministry to proclaim the Word of God through the Divine Television ministry. I too was very drawn by Pope John Paul II as a college student - that each of us as Catholics need to be radical in living our faith. Yet, it is many years later before I began to live a Christ-centred life. I know it was my first Divine retreat experience in 1998 that changed my whole life of what my faith means to me. The Divine retreat was my first personal God-experience that awoke me from my spiritual inertia. I was just essentially a Catholic because I was baptized and my parents ensured we had daily family prayers. For me, it was because of the Divine-Potta's Vincentian Fathers untiring mission of conducting retreats every week of the year since December 1989 that gave me this cherished experience. There are so many priests, religious and lay people involved in missionary work all over the world - in their hometowns, own countries or overseas. Most of them are unknown. What matters is each of them is sharing the Love and Hope of Christ to those in need - Catholics and non-Catholics alike!  Many of us have been touched and transformed by their love, efforts and sacrifices. Yet, what have we done to pass on what we ourselves have been spiritually enriched by? Am I only concerned of knowing, loving and receiving  graces from Jesus in a one-on-one relationship as it is beneficial for me? Am I expecting others to do the New Evangelization efforts - why not me? One question arises above all else - how many of us are willing to actually take part in some "positive doing" for New Evangelization in our parish, country or internationally?  What is it all about?


The New Evangelization is a new type of mission work, for it is directed toward historically Christian countries and people who have heard the Gospel but have not fully responded to it.  The message to be proclaimed is not new, for it is still the never changing Gospel of Jesus Christ but it is new in methods, ardour, and expression.  In large part, this is a missionary effort directed toward the baptized.  One need not look far in society to see many baptized Catholics who no longer practice the faith, who have joined sects or other religions, and even some who, while still practicing the faith, have never made a full and generous adult response to the loving invitation of Christ.  Blessed Pope John Paul II wrote that he sensed “that the moment has come to commit all of the Church’s energies to a new evangelization and to the mission ad gentes.  No believer in Christ, no institution of the Church can avoid this supreme duty: to proclaim Christ to all peoples” (Redemptoris Missio 3). - Excerpt from the Mission of Redeemer Ministries blog.




When I was in the corporate world for 16 years, we often did not embark on any initiatives or projects unless we had most of the resources (funds, human resources, technical expertise, defined customer base), had a clear project plan with a high probability of success and knowing the goals and needs/wants of our customer base. In other words, often the best talents and skills of the company were identified and brought together as a team to ensure success. 

And then I came to be a little part of the Divine-Potta ministry in June 2004. To say it was a shock to my system initially (a few years!) of how the Vincentian Fathers of the Divine-Potta ministry carry out their "Faith in Action" mission projects and initiatives is an understatement. It brought a vivid reminder to me of one of the first Bible verses that had ever pierced my heart - "Show me anyone who has faith without actions. I will show you my faith by my actions." (James 2:18) Here, first and foremost in any ministry project or initiative, what is most important is PRAYER. Nothing and no decision is made without it. Often, steps are only taken after a period of intense prayer and discernment  and the promptings of the Holy Spirit to go forth and to carry out God’s work with total faith and trust. There is no  clear prospect of what the result will be – needless to say, even the resources are scarce and limited when the project or initiative is first thought of. Yet what is important is embracing the "divine" vision God places in our hearts. It may seem impossible but that is when having a Christ-centred faith makes the REAL difference. When God is in charge, He will turn everything to our good. Everyone of us here in our Divine community can probably attest to this Promise of God!


What is crucial is our unwavering faith in God’s Providence.  I always remember that  in my first year in Divine, Fr. Augustine Vallooran V.C. shared with me Psalm 121 and the 1st two verses literally says it all of what spurs on the Divine-Potta ministry – “I look to the mountains; where will my help come from? My help comes from the LORD, who made heaven and earth.” (Psalm 121:1-2) Having witnessed so many mission "miracles" in the Divine-Potta ministry after great tests of faith and obstacles these past 10 years, I now have a very personal and tangible conviction that it is not by human might, human power and human will that brings our mission the joy and great fruit of the charitable and evangelization projects and initiatives. It is the total dependence on God - of knowing that when we place our trust in Jesus, He will send the Holy Spirit to guide, inspire and lead us to great things for the Glory of our Heavenly Father. What is CRUCIAL is the "Power of Positive Doing" - of not waiting endlessly to make sure all the "'i's" are dotted and the "t"s " are crossed, of not being willing to start taking the first step in faith. When we pray faithfully and constantly lift up the "call" we have in our hearts about any project or initiative that has been put into our hearts by God, we must never give up on hope or doubt just as Blessed Pope John Paul II has always exhorted every Catholic - including you and me!



We must reach out to those who feel burdened and need to experience the life-giving Love and Power of Jesus. Most of all, Catholics need to rejoice and celebrate in the fullness of our faith by living God's Word! Just preaching from the pulpit to church-going Catholics is not enough or serving within our comfort zone among like-minded parishioners in our church. Jesus reached out to the outcasts, the sick and the suffering. and those who had no real understanding of who God really is. That is what He wants of each of us to be  - a missionary wherever we are. The question we need to really reflect and act upon is "Am I willing to do this for Jesus?' Jesus did not choose only priests or the successful businessmen and upper echelons of society to be be His disciples. It was just ordinary men and women who believed in Him like the Samaritan Woman by the Well (Gospel of John Chapter 4) - so every one of us is essentially called by Jesus!  What is our honest answer to Pope Francis' question below? 


None of us should assume that because of our position or skills, we should be the ones to lead or spearhead New Evangelization efforts. It is Jesus who places the call in the hearts of those He chooses and it is Jesus who qualifies those whom He calls. To Jesus who is THE Miracle-Maker, why does He need only the best? It is when He chooses the most unlikely people that others can witness the amazing Power of our Lord unfolding and the great anointing of the Holy Spirit. As Blessed Mother Teresa said, she is just a little instrument in God's Hand. That is all God wants - ordinary people like you and me who are willing to answer with an open "servant" heart His Call even when we are not sure what we can do - all Jesus needs is our complete faith and trust in Him and to take the step of faith in action. He will send us many others willing to serve Him when we most need their help and support and at the very least a priest who will lead and guide us spiritually.

The YouTube clip below "The Power of Positive Doing Creed"  by B J Gallagher really captures the essence of how I believe in living my life. One of the nicest comments I have ever received is what a friend told me over dinner in Singapore a week ago about my 10 years serving in Divine. She said, "Susan, one thing I know, you never give up if you believe in something." That was what seems to have touched her heart, I think. Well, that is a blessed grace I am most thankful to God for! More importantly, I have a deep gratitude to God for the people He brings into my life who are willing and share the "call" and "vision" to take on mission initiatives for the glory of God.


"I believe that true happiness and fulfillment comes from serving others,
and I commit to living my life in service and contribution."
B J Gallagher 




No comments:

Post a Comment