Tuesday 31 August 2010

MY MEMORIES OF MALAYSIA ON MERDEKA DAY!

Yesterday, some secondary school classmates and I were reminiscing about our friendship. Since we re-established contact (thanks to Facebook!) in late 2008, we are always in constant touch.

It made me realize – there is just something about being childhood schoolmates that creates a great and long lasting bond of friendship. Many of us now live in different cities and even countries; we had not kept in touch once we went on for our higher studies – mainly overseas. But amazingly…it is JUST like before! We joke, laugh and just have girl chatter on Facebook nearly every day! We are of different races - Chinese, Malay and Indian and of different faiths – Buddhist, Muslim and Christians. The best part is we are great friends and nothing else matters!

Dr. Sia Ah Hiok
I remember Malaysians were like that when I was growing up – we did not look at each other and think what race or faith we were. We just looked at each other and saw a person. Unfortunately due to race and religion being used in Malaysian politics, the mood and what I read in the papers seem to show we are losing the spirit of being first and foremost Malaysians! I am apolitical. Frankly, I just do not like ANY politicians – they seem a whole different species to me invading earth! Yet, I am aware that if more like-minded Malaysians do not step up to the plate and speak up, the Malaysia that we grew up in will disappear altogether. It is why I have the outmost respect for my childhood friend, Dr. Sia Ah Hiok, Director of Student Services, who is in the forefront in the education of our Malaysian youth at INTI International University College. She is a wonderful human being – full of zest, enthusiasm, fun and intelligence. So I continue to have faith there must be more unsung heroes like her around doing a great service for our nation.

I miss the days of multi-cultural spirit of sharing and living as Malaysians. “Muhibbah” – “Goodwill” was real. The joy we had as all of us would meet up as a group to help celebrate our classmates’ Chinese New Year, Hari Raya Aidil Fitri, Deepavali and Christmas were the highlight of our childhood friendships. Imagine all the wonderful Malaysian food our Mums’ prepared for all the visitors who dropped by. That was truly a Malaysian concept – Open House! Anyone could visit and be fed a sumptuous lunch. There were some people whom we never saw except for Christmas lunch! I never gave much thought about it then. But that was true neighbourly love at its best! To think of how much cooking had to be done – using my family as an example, there was my dad’s work friends, my parents’ friends, and the classmates/workmates of the 8 Alexander kids! It’s like feeding an army of hungry creatures who seemed to have worked out their arrivals with clockwork precision – when one group left, the other group turned up. The best part was we had no mobile phones or internet then.

Malaysia is 53!
Today, Malaysia is 53 years old! It is still a beautiful country and Malaysians are generally a very warm, friendly and caring people. We need to forget about racial and religious politics and do what is best for EVERY Malaysian. We cannot survive without the talents and sacrifices made by every community towards what has made Malaysia what it is today…In fact, we will definitely miss each other! All Malaysia needs is people who have genuine love for every citizen. Unfortunately I have to admit, I love Malaysia when I am away but I actually find it really hard to live in Malaysia. Guess we all have to love our Malaysia the way St. Paul best describes love!


Love is patient; love is kind; love is not envious or boastful or
arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable
or resentful; it does not rejoice in wrongdoing, but rejoices in the
truth. It bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures
all things. Love never ends….And now faith, hope, and love abide,
these three; and the greatest of these is love.

(1 Corinthians 13:4-8,13)

4 comments:

  1. Wonderful Susan!!!
    Sal

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susan, have finally read it! so true. I love Malaysia too and everything you said about our growing up years,so well captured. No matter where we live or citizenships we take up, we will always remain Malaysians at heart - one of their greatest strengths - being able to laugh at themselves!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you, Renee! Just loook at us :)

    ReplyDelete